Pages

Monday 12 December 2011

It's Not About Where You Have Been, It's About Where You Are Going!


Do you realise how much you have to look forward to if you just kept looking forward?

Life really has no meaning but the meaning you give it. For sure we cannot predict what the future will bring. As Peter Drucker said ~ 'Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights while looking out the back window.' However what we can do is decide to be whoever we want to be regardless of who we think we are or were.

Just because I was weak and thin yesterday, it doesn't mean I cannot be strong and fit to tomorrow. Just because your parents are divorced, it doesn't mean you cannot have a successful marriage. Just because your grandmother died of breast cancer, it does not mean you will.

What I am trying to say is too many of us let our lives be led by our history when we are quite capable of directing our life where we want it to go for our future. With faith and conviction, we have the power to move mountains. Nevertheless we set boundless limitations on ourselves, we do not push boundaries and we do not live our best lives because of unfounded notions and perceptions of the past.

You can be what you want to be. You do not have to be what your past dictates, you can be what you dictate. Own you, your present and your future. I am not saying we need to deny our history. However particularly for negative pasts beliefs, experiences and feelings they are best left behind and not carried around like excess baggage dictating how you go forward with your life.

For example I have only known unsuccessful marriages, strong single mothers, struggling women, kids that resent parents for not being there and parents resenting kids for not being grateful for the sacrifices their mothers have made. I have started on that circle and have had an unsuccessful marriage, become a single mother, and STOP! That is where the similarity ends. I have decided that my past need not be my future.

For this reason I will have a great relationship, a family unit, children with 2 loving parents, and a family free of resentments. I need not feel that a broken family is inevitable because I came from one, or that I have to struggle to raise my child alone as my mother did. I have said it will be great and by Gods will and my determination, it will be so. By living in that mindset I have way more chance of success than failure, and I am all about succeeding in my goals.

Too many of us find ourselves repeating history. Walking in our forefathers footsteps and being exactly who we always endeavoured not to be. It is not obligatory, genetic or definitive that we should do this, we just seem to do it naturally. All it takes is a sense of awareness, and a willingness to take another path. You live in a family of Doctors and want to be a Lawyer, then a Lawyer you should be. Whatever it takes, as long as you are happy and it does not negatively impact others, go forth and do it!

Be more mindful, be fearless and be in the knowledge that your past does not have to be inextricably linked to your future.

It's Not About Where You Have Been, It's About Where You Are Going! So...where are you going?

I am going forwards, upwards, onwards, anywhere but backwards!

Love & Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment