Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

Get busy living, or get busy dying - The Shawshank Redemption



How many of us have let life pass us by? I mean literally! You realise you are in your 30s or 40s or whatever age you are and you have little to show for your time here on earth. You sit down and reflect on where you are vs where you anticipated when 30 seemed old and 40 seemed older! You question yourself asking what have you have achieved, what contribution you have made, where do you fit in...

Time will pass regardless of whether we are conscious of it or not. So many of us check out of life and just Go through the motions. It all becomes habitual and routine and then you realise your teens are done, your 20s are done, your 30s, 40s.... and stop!

I have spent the last 3 days at home as I had a minor op on my eye. I have severe cabin fever and cannot wait to go to work tomorrow. I feel like I am suffocating. Yes I could have left the house, but I looked like I had been in a domestic abuse incident and I just could not deal with the stares. So I chose to stay home.

Nevertheless, it made me think about how horrid it would be to not be doing anything with the gift of life I have been blessed with, as well as how many of us are locked in a self inflicted prison and not living life to our full potential.

Admittedly I chose to rest and rest well after the operation and catch up on some serious sleep to alleviate the fatigue I have been overwhelmed with. However by the 3rd evening I really could not take it. Then it led me to thinking of those people that do nothing, be nothing and act like they are nothing - when the complete opposite is true.

We are all somebody, we all have potential and we all should get busy living our life before we die. I am not being morbid intentionally but do we really appreciate the propensity people have to not take life and all it's blessings seriously? So many people live with the regret of not taking a step, a risk, a chance. That is what I mean take a chance on life. On YOUR life.

There is so much to do, see, give, have and be in this world. No I am not talking about just material things. Giving your gift of time to others, having the best life you can, being a good person...

I sat here feeling a bit sorry for myself today another operation (second in 5 months), another pity party, blah blah blah and I realised that I am not dying. I am just taking time out and I need to make the most of it as one day I will be going, going, gone!

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned about being inspired. A key partner to that is being motivated. Be motivated to live a lot instead of a little. Take courage that failing is a magic step towards success. Know that we are all great and can be anything and don't let life pass by without trying.

Get busy living or you will inadvertently get busy dying.

Love & Happiness.

Scr1be

No comments:

Post a Comment