Pages

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Stay Well....

Did you know that it is reported that more than 70% of Doctor visits are stress related?

Cancer, ulcers, insomnia, migraines, muscle tension even rhematoid arthritis are all rumoured to be caused by stress.

Stress being; our body reacting negatively to situations that we find threatening, that cause us anger or a feeling of being imbalanced. It begs the question: How much can we control our stress and our reaction to it?

3 weeks ago I had a growth removed from my colon, and I am suffering from Chronic Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining). I have had stomach issues for years. Bloating, discomfort, and such delights. I didn't notice any particular trends, but it was becoming more and more common so I went to the Doctor.

She said it was just stress, she gave me some pills and looked at the door - I wasn't ready to leave. I insisted that this was looked into further as the discomfort was bearable but annoying. Long story short, I was referred to a gastroenterologist who said I should have a procedure performed immediately.

A week later after having had a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy I was told about the growth that was removed (benign) and the gastritis. The cause of which as the first doctor suggested was stress. I was stunned and it was a reality check. If I didn't stop taking things so seriously and didn't ask for help when needed, I was heading downhill.

It's not all doom and gloom and I am fine (I am feeling better already and expect that after completing the medication for the 6 week duration all will be well). I just need to use this as a trigger point when I get stressed to STOP!

When we hit our 30s we really should get annual health checks. The body is a mystery and we may look fine outwardly but all may not be well within.

Ladies, be vigilant. Get your smears - cervical cancer will go undetected. All those who have had unprotected sex, get checks for STDs and start protecting yourselves (that goes for older women too). Chlamydia is a silent internal destroyer. I have heard of women having to have a hysterectomy because of it. Have hormone checks DHEA, FSH, TSH, Oestrogen, Progesterone - hormone imbalances can make you feel unwell. Tumour marker checks, Colon and mammograms are a good idea too.

Don't take your health for granted. Get EVERYTHING checked once a year! Prevention is really better than cure.

Men equally should have annual checks. Prostrate, testicular and colon cancers are killing you men at alarming rates. Get these checked at a minimum.

I ask that we be more conscious and take care. This is not a rehearsal this grand thing we call life - when it's done it's done.

Watch what you put in your body via your mouth and your mind. Think about things that make you smile and partake in enjoying them. Make time for you and those you love.

Above all have more fun and stay well - I certainly will.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment