Pages

Tuesday 11 October 2011

'Charity should begin at himself.' - John Wycliffe

I wrote in my post the Soul's Purpose that I wanted to do more to make a difference. Do more for others. Although I still want to and there is nothing wrong with this desire, I realize that if each of us took better care of our surrounding environment and the people around us, the world would be a better place, really!

If one has the means, I firmly believe we owe it to society and ourselves to be charitable. Giving of our time or money if we can to worthy causes is honourable. I have been donating for years and will continue to do so.  However is my charity sometimes misguided I ask myself?  Our neighbors often need help, other times our children, and our partners too.  In an urge to be there for everyone else outside of our immediate vicinity, we sometimes forget to be charitable to those close to us and even ourselves.

They say that charity begins at home for a reason.  In my quest to be charitable I have forgotten to look in my own back yard.  My helper reminded me of that today.  We had an emotional discussion and she said she didn't understand why I am always helping others when my own child also needs my time. This hit me hard, and I had a gut wrenching feeling.  

After writing Soul's Purpose,  I was asked by a reader if I have decided what 'more' I would do.  I have now decided! I am going to consciously give more of my charitable efforts to nurturing my son first and foremost.  

Not that he has not been my utmost priority, but it occurred to me that I have been teaching a young boy to read and not spending enough time teaching my own child to read.  I will still help but I need to be mindful and take care of my own first. 

I also need to take care of myself.  I need to exercise, keep up the work on my business.  I by no means am going to become selfish and no longer do the charitable things that I have done over the years (that is just not in my nature).  Instead I will maintain an equilibrium and focus my attentions closer to home too.

Galileo Galilei quoted - ' I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. '

It is merely common sense, take care of your own business, get that right and be better placed to take care of the business of others.  Nevertheless it took Aunty to prod me into thinking logically. I am just trying too hard to be all that it is not always possible to be.

In the words of Mother Teresa ~ 'If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.'

I am almost certain that more focus on the one person in my life that needs it most is just as charitable as helping someone else's child.  If one has the capacity to do all then fine, however if not then 'Charity should begin at himself.' - John Wycliffe

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment