Pages

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Thoughts Really Do Become Things!


KC was misbehaving at school and his teachers complained. When I asked him why, he said you keep saying I am a naughty boy so I am a naughty boy.

The thing is he said it with such sincerity and not an ounce of malice, it touched me. I fear that if he starts to see himself as a naughty  boy it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.  At 5 years old he teaches me so much.

So now I will instill in him how good he is, can be and will be.  As they say, 'be careful what you wish for.'  He already is acting out based on what he thinks I think of him.

You know thoughts really do become things.  I mentioned this in my post Ask and it is given and even a child is telling me this without having any idea of this universal concept. However it is so difficult to think beyond what we are faced with. He has been naughty and I have told him as such.

'Not emphasising the fact that he has been naughty is lying to myself I hear you say...' The thing is, I don't have to have that as the focal point. For sure I will reprimand him and tell him what is the right conduct. Nevertheless instead of fearing that he will be known for being disruptive, perhaps I can focus on his wonderful loving nature, his kind caring demeanour, his future scholarships, his good will and deeds, his graduation from Cambridge.

Not forgetting the pride at seeing him become a mature upstanding man, wonderful father, husband and human being (ok I have gone way ahead in time but it doesn't hurt to dream and it puts a smile on my face. Notwithstanding that as thoughts become things, I will be very proud to see him accomplish such greatness one day).

I need to tell him his potential not just harping on about him being a bad boy. Perhaps we all need to focus on allowing our children to realise their self worth while keeping them disciplined.  The balance is tough but so worth it.  I will see to it that KC no longer feels that I look down on him in a negative light. It is not good for him or our relationship.

I must also keep reminding myself that thoughts become things. You reap what you sow.  Therefore be careful what you say, think and believe... As my son said you keep saying it, so it is so! You become what you believe, not what you wish or want but what you truly believe. ~ Oprah 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment