Pages

Monday 8 August 2011

A quick feel good factor – Smile!

I woke up today in a great mood and was feeling exceptionally blessed.  I had a very restful weekend.  Besides spending time with my niece and taking her on a play-date, it was quite uneventful.


So as mentioned, I woke up this morning with a rather sunny disposition.  Singing along while getting dressed, I felt extremely appreciative and grateful.  I appreciate my nice home, the abundance of choices I have. I felt well put together and glad that I had a good job to go to.  Above all I have less than a week until my baby comes home – yeah!


The walk along the canal to the station is always a pleasant one.  It was a nice day at 33degress Celsius (91.4 F) and there was a finite breeze that caught me at regular intervals.  Seemingly, while walking, I must have been smiling.  I began noticing that when I caught the eye of passers by, they smiled at me. It was at this point that I wondered if I smiled at everyone I saw, what would happen? 


It is absolutely amazing how contagious a smile is.  I scanned the person approaching before hand as some people you just cannot randomly smile at.  However subsequently, I purposefully smiled at the vast majority of people that passed me and they all smiled back!  


A couple of people did a double take.  Clearly they didn’t expect a smile from a stranger.  Nonetheless they did smile back.  Some even bared their teeth.  As silly as it may sound, I felt like I made their day.  It made my day anyway (well morning at least).  Happy people make for a happy atmosphere and you feel good in a happy atmosphere.  


I do not advocate smiling at people that quite frankly look untoward.  Also it depends where you are.  I recollect returning to the UK some years back and smiling at a lady.  This woman gave me the most disgusted look that she could muster and abruptly turned her head away.  I was stunned and thought - whatever happened to common courtesy?


Regardless, I think it is worth a try.  I am sure it is not just me and it will work for anyone.  I think I will try it every Monday as this is the hardest day of the week for me.  I will use it as a quick feel good fix to fight the ‘Monday Morning Blues’.  I am still having a great day thus far.  Even if things do get annoying, I intend to wash them away with a smile.  


Go on, give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment